Sunday, August 28, 2016

Making a MIG Welder Cart

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
In my research for my upcoming DIY backhoe building project (blog to follow) I came across a gas powered pressure washer whose pump had died. After I took off the engine and accessories I was left with the cart which I used to build a MIG welder cart.

The first thing I had to do was to take off the metal piece that the engine was bolted onto, flatten it out and bolt it back on the frame a bit higher up. Then I had to make two support "legs", bolt those to the metal shelf.

The last thing was to make a holder for the Argon/CO2 tank which I made using some 1/8" x 1" flat bar, some 1/8" flat metal and a couple of small chains I had lying around.

Now I can wheel the welder around much simpler than before when I had to drag the individual pieces and set it all up again at its final location.

Pictures:
The pressure washer (broken pump manifold) I picked up on kijiji for $35 bucks
The cart after all the pressure washer components were stripped from it
Another view
After I straightened the metal shelf and mounted it higher up on the cart
The welder sitting on the metal shelf
Close-up of the two legs I added (parts from an old treadmill)
The bolt holding the metal shelf towards the front of the cart
Using two pieces of 1/8" flat bar to hold the welder to the cart
Getting ready to make a bottle holder under the welder
Getting ready to tack weld the bottle holder
The finished welding cart
Side-view of the welding cart
The bottle holder under the welder
Rear view of the bottle holder
Another view
My MIG welder finally has a permanent home
Another view of the cart
Tools:
Metal band saw
MIG welder
Angle grinder
Drill press
Drill
Measuring tape
Pencil & marker
Socket set
Screw drivers
Hammer
Square

Materials:
5' of 1/8" x 1" flat bar
2' of small chain
6" by 8" of 1/8" flat metal
Screws

Cost:
$10.00

Time:
3 hrs

Savings:
$250.00

Conclusion:
I love it! It works really well

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers