Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Dial Indicator Holder for my Emco Maximat V10 Metal Lathe

Project:
Creating a dial indicator holder for my lathe carriage

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
I've been thinking of getting an Abom79 approved dial indicator with a magnetic base but because I have already spent a good chunk of money on my lathe and accessories I figured I'd try to come up with another design.

It turned out to be pretty easy, actually. I adapted the idea of an Adjustable Carriage Stop I found online and turned it into a dial indicator holder.

All I had to do is mill some aluminum, trace out the profile of the v-ways, cut, mill and file the slot, drill & tap the bolt and install a small roll pin to keep the bottom piece from rotating as I tighten the bolt.

Now I use the dial indicator holder all the time and it is truly a very convenient way of stopping the carriage at a consistent point.

Now all I have to do is get a few extra side-jobs to save up enough for a DRO but that's for another time...

Pictures:
The finished dial indicator holder
Side view
From the headstock side
View from behind the headstock
Another close-up
The dial indicator holder can be quickly and easily removed
Another view of the two aluminum parts constituting the dial indicator holder
Tools:
Mill & accessories
Tap & die set
Drill press
Metal scribe

Materials:
Dykem layout blue
1 bolt
1 roll pin
1 screw

Cost:
$0.00

Time:
2hrs

Savings:
$112.99

Conclusion:
It is so convenient! I'm glad I took the time to build this

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers