Sunday, December 20, 2015

Fixing Sitting Surface Of One Of Our Chairs

Project:
Fixing the stripped screws that hold down the chair sitting surface

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
A few days ago when I picked up one of our dining room chairs I noticed that over the years of usage (small kids are pretty hard on furniture!) the screws holding down the sitting surface had become stripped and the sitting area was just loosely tied to the rest of the chair.

At first I was considering to cut the fabric out around the screw, drill a hole, glue in a piece of dowel and then drill a small hole, but I remembered that I had bought a pocket screw hole jig a few years ago and since the screws were not normally visible I decided to just drill a new pocket hole in the chair frame and screw down the sitting surface at its new location.

The whole thing took about half an hour and now my little kiddos will be a lot safer!

Pictures:
The chair with the sitting area removed
The place where the screw was stripped out
My pocket hole jig
The pocket hole jig attached to the chair frame
The new pocket hole drilled about 1.5" beside the old (stripped) one
Another view of the pocket hole
Tools:
Drill
Pocket hole jig
Screwdriver
Vacuum

Materials:
None

Cost:
$0.00

Time:
1/2 hr

Savings:
$50

Conclusion:
Works great!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers