Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Fixing Mig Welder Argon Regulator Adaptor

Project:
Making a little adaptor for my mig welder's argon regulator

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
When I bought my mig welder way back to do my Rocker Panel Repair it came with a standard Argon flow regulator (Model #: CTM-2557 by Western Enterprises). It had a little push connector for the gas hose which ended up getting destroyed so it was no use to me so I had to go buy a regulator for about $70 bucks.

Tonight I saw an ad on kijiji of someone looking for a regulator and I remembered that I had kept the original one. Since I've now got a lathe and some small brass stock I decided I was going to email him and tell him he could have mine for $20 bucks.

Out in the shop I went, found the regulator, took a 3/8" piece of brass rod, turned it down to the proper size, cut a thread on one end and reduced the other side to a little over 3/16" with a bit of a retaining barb. Voila, $20 in just a few minutes that I would have otherwise had to just throw out or sell for $2 at the scrap yard.

Pictures:

The original regulator
The damaged push connector
The part almost finished in the 3-jaw chuck
Once it was cut off and de-burred
The new part installed on the flow regulator
The flow regulator with the hose installed on it
Tools:
Lathe
Tap & Die set
Hacksaw
Drill bit

Materials:
1" of 3/8" brass rod

Cost:
$0.00

Time:
20 minutes

Earnings:
$20.00

Conclusion:
Glad I kept the regulator for all these years

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers