Saturday, October 17, 2015

Scrap Metal Bin

Project:
Building a scrap metal bin for my shorter scrap metal

Difficulty Level (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane):
Easy

Process:
I had already built a Scrap Metal Storage Shelf last month for my longer scrap metal but I had a bucket full of smaller stuff (less than 6") so whenever I needed a small piece I'd have to dump the entire 50lb heavy bucket to find a small little piece. I had some left-over OSB from building Storage Shelves for a Coworker so I figured I might as well use it up instead of throwing it in the garbage.

I took one of the cut-offs from the shelves, put 4 small casters at the bottom, glued and nailed the sides to the base and then put in a couple of dividing walls to make 6 compartments for:
  1. Square solid pieces
  2. Square hollow pieces
  3. Round solid pieces
  4. Round hollow pieces
  5. Flat pieces
  6. Angle pices
After everything was built I sorted my big bucket of scrap metal and pushed it under my metal lathe. Finally I can find my stuff without having to sort through that whole bucket.

Pictures:

Cut-off from an earlier shelf project
The walls glued and the dividers installed
The scrap metal all sorted
A close up of the sorted metal
Stores away under my metal lathe
Tools:
Table saw
Chop saw
Compressor
Framing nailer
Measuring tape
Pencil
Square
Drill

Materials:
Four 2'x2x pieces of 3/4" OSB
4 Casters

Cost:
$4.00

Time:
1hr

Savings:
Probably at least $50 bucks

Conclusion:
So glad I can finally find my stuff

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers